Did you know that 1 in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime?
Because of the need for donated blood, Memorial Blood Center is sponsoring a number of blood drives in Plymouth next month.
On March 5, residents can give blood at Greatbatch Medical from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Another drive will be held on March 22 at the Waterford Office Park from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. The last drive in March will be on the 23rd at Jake's City Grille from 1 to 5 p.m.
In order to donate blood, various criteria must be met.
- Be 17 years old, or have a 16-year-old consent form
- Weigh 110 pounds or more
- Be free of antibiotics for 24 hours, unless taken daily for skin condition
- Be symptom-free for at least 3 days following a cold or flu
If you choose to donate, Memorial Blood Center suggests the following tips for a good experience:
- Get a solid night’s sleep before donating
- Eat a full meal within six hours prior to your appointment
- Avoid strenuous physical activity or heavy lifting for a few hours after donating
- Make sure that your system is fully hydrated—drink 12-16 ounces or more just prior to donating and plenty of fluids for the remainder of the day
To schedule an appointment to donate blood in Plymouth, go online and create a free donor ID.