Here's some safety tips from the city of Plymouth and a video featuring Deputy Fire Chief Kip Springer about staying safe this holiday season:
- Test your smoke detectors monthly. Replace their batteries once a year.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Do not place burning candles on end tables or other areas where they might accidentally be knocked over.
- Always keep burning candles out of the reach of children or pets.
- Never place a burning candle near something that can catch fire.
- Keep candles away from drafts and vents.
- Trim wicks to ¼" prior to each use.
- Extinguish taper or pillar candles when they get within 2" of their holders.
- Always use a flame-retardant base that has been made for candles.
- Keep matches, wick trimmings and foreign objects out of the candle wax.
- Keep matches and lighters away from kids. Teach children to tell adults if they find matches or a lighter.
ire and Burn Prevention
- Test smoke detectors every month and replace batteries once a year.
- Make and practice a home escape plan. Keep lighters, matches and lighter fluid stored in a secure place that is inaccessible to children.
- Teach children to never play with fire. If they find matches or lighters, they should tell an adult.
- Never leave lit candles unattended.
- Turn pot handles to the back of the stove when cooking. Do not place hot liquids near the edges of tables or counters.
- Have children play away from the kitchen and the outdoor grill.
- Choking, Suffocation and Strangulation Prevention
- Teach children not to put inedible objects in their mouths.
- Be alert to choking, suffocation and strangulation dangers. These dangers may include balloons, necklaces, marbles, buttons, scarves, shoelaces, plastic bags, drapery cords, clothing with drawstrings and scarves.
- Install and maintain a carbon monoxide detector in your home.
- Keep cleaning supplies, medicine, paint and aerosol cans out of the reach of young children.
- Remove poisonous plants from home and yard.
- Use poison alert (Mr. Yuck) stickers.
- Purchase shoes with Velcro straps instead of shoelaces.
- Double tie shoelaces to prevent untied shoes.
- Use a non-slip bath mat.
- Do not allow children to jump or climb on furniture.
- Supervise children at playgrounds.
Firearm Injury Prevention
- Keep firearms locked up.
- Separate ammunition from firearms, and secure both.
- Use triggers locks.
- Teach children to never touch a firearm.
- Ask your children to tell you or another trusted adult if their friends or acquaintances play with guns.