Do you ever pity your suitcase? Poor thing. You jam it full and sit on it, ooching the zipper shut and weighing it 9 times before the scale reaches not one ounce less than 50lbs, all the while hoping it does not split at the seams en route. Needless to say, practical packing is a great skill to acquire. So lets explore some space saving, travel friendly, versatile vacation wear to bring on your next getaway.
We should adopt a travel appropriate principle: Less is more. Wearing things twice is no faux pas, though I am not necessarily suggesting wearing the exact same outfit twice. So be creative in pairing different tops with bottoms and creating various looks with the same elements. Roll up your sleeves and loosen a few buttons for lunch and then tighten up the same shirt and throw on a soft shouldered sportcoat for dinner the next night.
Our top Tommy Bahama Picks:
1. Pocket T-shirt - Pick a color, any color. Wear them alone or layered
2. Flipster 1/4 Zip- Perfect for traveling. Two tops for the space of one. A great item to wear on the plane.
3. Linen Suit - Buy the coat and pants separate or the whole shebang. Pair the coat with denim or colored chinos for a different look. You'll fit in at any restaurant in this perfect cross between casual and formal.
4. Linen Plaid Shorts in Haze - Breathable, sophisticated, casual. Buy linen in every shape and form.
5. Five pocket pants in Light Sand- Half linen and cotton, textural, versatile, casual. New this season!
6. Canvas Fold-out Dopp Kit - Keep your toiletries contained and organized in your suitcase
Fashion for the Travel Man
1. Eyebobs Reading Glasses- Current, funky, and come with a durable travel case. Freshen your look.
2. Robert Graham Shirts - Your after 9 shirt, unbutton the top two and show off the details and fashion.
3. St. Croix Cotton Pullover - A classic sweater with a beautiful color palette to choose from.
4. 34 Heritage Denim - Stretch, comfort, and slimming effects, the best pants to wear on the plane.
5. Southern Tide - The Skipjack Polo is the best, most comfortable classic polo ever made. This fun, colorful brand is new at The Foursome this spring and flying off the shelves.
Golfwear for the Course
1. Bobby Jones Full Zip Plaid Nylon Jacket - So light weight it could fit in your pocket. Perfect for travel, course, and club.
2. Bobby Jones Polo- Mini stripe with solid contrasting collar. Thin and lightweight.
3. Cutter & Buck Polos - Thinner than paper, your skin and suitcase will thank you.
Additional Packing Tips
- Check the 7-day forecast before you pack
- Roll your clothes, it limits wrinkles and saves space
- Don't pack for the worst scenario, pack for the best
- Wear your thickest layer on the plane rather than packing it
- Pack just enough toiletries to get you started and buy the rest when you get there
- Don't weigh yourself down with extra shoe options
- Check your suitcase weight before you leave the house
Healthy Travel Snacks
- Hard boiled eggs = compact protein
- Dried fruit and nut mix = salty and sweet pick-me-up
- Rice cakes = light weight and low calorie
- Apple = keep the doctor away
- Green tea bags = energy boost along the way
May your packing be light, your journey adventurous, and your vacation as free as the wind. Soak up the sun and Bon Voyage!
– By Beth Dougherty, Inspiration and Display Coordinator at The Foursome