Earlier this week, scientists at CERN announced the discovery of a new boson. Is it the long sought after Higgs-Boson, named after the physicist who predicted its existence in the 1960′s? The confirmation of this may not be known until researchers have more time to sift through the data they have collected. Without the confirmation however, they are certain they have cornered the elusive Higgs.
Physicists now can explain roughly 4% of the matter in the universe. The discovery of the Higgs will assist them as they attempt to explain the remaining 96%. They theorize that 96% of the matter in the universe is dark matter that they have not been able to explain. Now, they hope they are equipped with enough information to began to advance against this frontier.
What will this discovery mean to you? The possible applications that CERN will enable are numerous. They are already responsible for you being able to read this post. Yes, the internet was developed at CERN (not by Al Gore as he would like you to believe).
The discovery of alternate dimensions, wormholes, time travel and many other “science fiction” applications may come as a result of CERN’s work. Lest you scoff in disbelief remember the name Philip Francis Nowlan. Nowlan was the creator of the Buck Rogers comic strip famously published in 1928. Nowlan wrote of travel into space and, while the readers enjoyed the “science fiction,” there are facets of his writing no one would call fiction today.
Will these new discoveries lead to humans being able to travel to the distant past or foray into the future? Only time will tell.